DAAD offers grants for one to three months in all academic disciplines to scholars at US and Canadian institutions of higher education to pursue research at universities, libraries, archives, institutes or laboratories in Germany. The aim of this particular program is to support short-term research stays and thus promote the exchange of experience and networking amongst colleagues. Grants are awarded for research and working projects and cannot be used for travel only. Airfare to Germany will not be covered and lecture tours, attendance at conferences or conventions, editorial meetings or extended guest professorships are not funded.
DAAD grants provide an opportunity to carry out research and continue education in Germany to the foreign academics and scientists. The aim of this programme is to support short-term research stays and promote the exchange of experience and networking amongst colleagues. This programme is for University teachers and established academics and scientists who have usually completed a PhD degree and work at a university or research institute in their home country.
Funding: Research stays at state or state-recognized institutions of higher education or non-university research institutes in Germany. Funding may only be claimed once within 3 years (lecture tours or visits to conferences are not funded).
Duration of the funding: 1-3 months; grant is non-renewable.
- 2,000 euros/month for assistant teachers, assistant professors and lecturers,
- 2,150 euros/ month for professors
- Travel allowance
- academic achievements
- recent publications
- convincing and well-planned research project
- Applicants must have obtained their Doctorate.
- Applicants must be working at a university or institute of higher education in their home country.
- The research project must be coordinated with an academic host institute in Germany.
- Language skills: depends on the applicant’s study plans and subject; arts, social sciences and law scholars would need at least a good knowledge of German. For the natural sciences and engineering scholars, proof of good English language skills may also be accepted.
- April 15th: for stays between August (same year) and January (following year)
- October 15th: for stays between March and July (following year)
|Organization||German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)|
|Subject areas||All disciplines|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||April 15th & October 15th|